Sunday, June 21, 2009

I love my Pa.

My dad and stepmum just left my house after sharing a wonderful father's day dinner with me.
Kyle had to leave to do a short work-related stint of travelling as soon as they got here, which was sad. But, at the same time, his absence afforded me a really lovely evening alone with my dad and his new(ish) wife, who I predict will be a great friend to me.

We barbecued ribs, I shared two bottles of wine with my stepmum, and engaged in some light, fun conversation.

And, in the course of things, of talking of family and travelling and aspirations, they dropped a huge, fantastic peice of news.

They want to help with the wedding! Like, a lot!
This may not seem a big thing to many who might see or hear this. It's common and even expected for a bride's parents to pay for or at least help with wedding-related costs. But my relationship with my dad in the past has been less than ideal, and for several years was fairly strained, partially because I had committed to Kyle at such a young age, something which a father must accept with difficulty. In addition to that, my family has never had money. I'm talking living in subsidised housing for my entire childhood, with our family sometimes receiving welfare or employment insurance cheques. Only recently have these financial stresses been alleviated for my dad, and my mum still struggles to meet her monthly committments.

Therefore, a monetary pledge from my dad means so much more than just money.
It means that he approves of my choice of a partner. It means that he trusts my judgement in making my decision to get married, even though he might think I'm a bit too young still.
And what that money means, means a lot to me.

I am touched. I am appreciative. I am blessed.
Happy Father's Day, Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment